Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rekindle (Part Two)

Last week I awoke on Wednesday really encouraged about what God was going to do in and through me this year. I reread the passage in Isaiah 60 that God had showed me the night before and got ready for my outing with Natalie and Sue.

We took a tour all over Lambaré, which included visiting a cemetery, learning about the statues on top of Cerro Lambaré, driving through the yacht club, and seeing the neighborhoods where our students live.

Sue told us about the changes that have happened since she moved here, such as new developments on once barren fields, controversial political issues, and community improvements. It was really interesting to hear how many changes she’s seen, both good and bad, since she moved here in 2000.

The whole day was extremely eye-opening. It was a huge reality check of what goes on right around us that we haven’t been seeing by living comfortably with our host family and teaching at a private school. I was reminded of the strongholds Satan has on this country, and the idols these people fall victim to. But the best reminder of all, was how God brought me here for a reason, and that although my year is almost halfway over, that means I still have half a year left to make a difference! ;)

Since that tour of Lambaré, I’ve had a fresh outlook on my purpose here in Paraguay. I’ve been reminded of how much good our school does for this community and have been eager to find more ways to get involved.

During our tour Sue drove us through the “flood zone” neighborhood, where the road has fallen out in some places and garbage litters the fields. We drove through the “settlement,” where families who have moved out of the interior of the country have settled into an overcrowded community on a once barren field just minutes from our school. Sue showed us the houses right underneath high voltage power lines and told us stories of power surges that have exploded houses and of families contracting cancer and other diseases for “unknown reasons” since moving there.

These are the communities where my kids live. 
MY kids.
The ones who shout “Hola Teacher!” when I walk into school.
Who say “Profe, mira!” when they proudly finish their work.
My kids who give me hugs, kisses, and candies when they enter my class.
The students whose teachers tell me “They just LOVE your class.”

For forty minutes, twice a week, each of my little smiling angels get to see Jesus reflected through my smiles, hugs, and silly dances about new vocabulary words.
This, THIS, is why I came to Paraguay.

I thank God that He has reminded me to live in the present and make decisions each day to do my best to serve Him.

I’m tired of the Enemy clouding my days with dark discouragement.

I came to be LIGHT.

I came here to SHINE.


"Arise, shine, for your light has come,
and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.
See, darkness covers the earth
and thick darkness is over the peoples,
but the Lord rises upon you.
Nations will come to your light,
and kings to the brightness of your dawn."
Isaiah 60:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment