Friday, August 21, 2015

Twenty-Three

Usually New Year's Eve is a time for people to look back and reflect on their year, see their accomplishments, and look forward to what's to come. Last year however, as I looked forward to my twenty-third year of life, I decided to reflect back on everything that happened in my exciting year twenty-two.

Today, as I prepare to leave this afternoon to spend the weekend serving at another Encounter with God - this time for adolescents, most being my science lab students last year - I'm thinking back on this year and remembering all the neat things that have happened. 

I turned 23 on the 23rd last August and I was determined to make this a good year. Since I was in first grade, 23 has been my favorite number, and for it to be my favorite number and my golden birthday, something amazing had to happen this year right?

Twenty-three started off with a celebration with my host family at a new restaurant with a whole buffet of beautiful desserts. I later was whisked off to a surprise dinner with all the missionaries. This part included driving through AsunciĆ³n in the dark after the power went out, with part of the surprise ruined as Natalie and Mary scrambled to call everyone to change locations to the other Mexican restaurant in town that actually had power. What a memory!! :D 

God really spoke to me at the end of August at the Encounter with God for women and I had an unforgettable experience, realizing how much I have a call to serve.  

September is special because I spent a week in Yrybucua serving with the St. Matthew medical clinic team and experienced God in such a tangible way. 

After that trip, a new friendship blossomed into true love as Nolberto and I started talking everyday.... which has resulted in a now six-month relationship with the love of my life. :)

In November, I finished my first year of teaching, an accomplishment years in the making, and felt so proud of myself. I was also in a little disbelief that I survived, but all the more confident that I was exactly where I needed to be and excited to come back for year two. 

December was a difficult transition back home with reverse culture shock hitting me hard and the realization that my heart will never be complete again, as it's split in pieces now. 

January was full of traveling.... Florida, Seattle, Ohio, Olivet, Chicago, Paraguay... all within three weeks! It was an absolute blast to see new places, and spend quality time with so many loved ones who I hadn't seen in so long. 

My time in Paraguay has been more difficult this year than last, but every time I get discouraged, I'm reminded of how much of a difference I'm making. When I came back, my colleagues at school were so happy to see me and my students were excited to have me as their teacher again. 

In May for Teacher's Day, I received so many notes and gifts from students, expressing their love and appreciation for me. Once again reminding me that my purpose here, to share God's love, was being fulfilled. 

I've had a wonderful year serving in various capacities and deepening relationships, and the only bad part in all of this will be having to say goodbye at the end of the year. 

Today, my amazing fifth graders threw me surprise parties in the morning and afternoon classes. Each one wrote me a card that that almost made me cry. Each one wrote how much they love me and how I'm "the best teacher in the world." They wrote about my patience and kindness and how I make them laugh. They wrote how thankful they are for me and how they know it's hard to be away from my family on my birthday. One girl wrote, "but we are your second family." :)

Twenty-three sure was great, but it looks like twenty-four is shaping up to be wonderful as well. :)

Thank you God, for leading me exactly where I need to be and for showing me I'm making a difference! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment