Friday, November 6, 2015

Happy Friday! Or in my case, not so happy....

As you may know, I am planning to return to the US in just a few short weeks. What many people in Paraguay are now realizing is that I'm not planning to return next year. 

Just minutes ago, I made a whole class of third graders cry. Needless to say, I was crying, too. 

I need your prayers. My students need your prayers. My transition to the US isn't going to be easy. Not only for me, but for the hundreds of students, friends, and "family" I'm leaving behind. 

After this morning's experience with third grade, I'm not sure how I'm going to break the news to the other classes that haven't heard yet.
Please pray for me as I do so over these last three weeks of school. 

It's hard to explain to young children why I'm going because I want to stay in Paraguay.

I love teaching at New Horizon.
I love living in Paraguay.
I love my life here.
I love my students.
I love my friends.

But, I'm an adult. An adult with $30,000 in student loans, struggling to raise financial support to stay in Paraguay, with a contract hanging over my head that says "you must work for four years in the US or you owe us $16,000." 
(the TEACH Grant, I received as financial aid.)

So being the responsible adult that I am, I booked a one-way ticket. 

It's sometimes hard to leave when you want to. It's always million times harder when you don't.

So I'm asking for your prayers.
Pray for me in my last weeks in Paraguay. Pray that people see my impact here. The way God worked through me these last two years. Pray that I am reminded of it, too. 
Pray for me as I pack and travel. Although I love change (usually), it's the transitions that cause me to have emotional breakdowns. 
Pray for my transition back to US culture. It's going to be a tough challenge speaking English everyday again, eating different foods, changing cultural routines. And please, I ask for grace as I wade through these muddy mental waters of reverse culture shock. 
Pray for my future. Pray as I listen for God's voice to direct me to what's next. I'm praying hard for a miracle. A miracle that will help pay my debts and put me back on a plane to Paraguay -- ¡pronto!

Because as our school's theme verse this year reminds us, 
NOTHING is impossible for GOD! 

So I'm praying, hard. 
Because my God is bigger than $30,000 of student loans. 
Bigger than the $16,000 I'd have to pay if I don't go back to teach.
Bigger than the $12,000+ per year I have to raise to stay in Paraguay.

Will you pray with me? 


Delight yourself in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart
Psalm 37:4

For nothing is impossible with God.
Luke 1:37

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
         And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
         And He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6 

What the Lord spoke to me a few months ago...

This is what the Lord says: “When [four] years are completed for [your TEACH Grant], I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this placeFor I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a futureThen you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to youYou will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord...
Jeremiah 29:10-14a

4 comments:

  1. It will all work out better than you ever dreamed possible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassidy, you made me cry as I read this post! Please know that I love you more than you will ever know, and I pray for you daily! Now I know more specifically how to pray for you, and I will continue to do so every single day! You are one of the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege of knowing, and there is no doubt in my mind that you have impacted the country of Paraguay in ways that only God can see at this time! You're amazing, and I love and miss you dearly! So great to chat with you last week! Let's do that again soon! Dios te bendiga RICAMENTE, querida!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my dear Cassidy, what a heart-felt message you posted. You have allowed God to use everything that has come into your life to draw you closer to Him. Your life is and has been such an inspiration and blessing to all whose lives touch yours. As was spoken of Esther in the Bible, "Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" - you, indeed, came to Paraguay for "such a time as this." You will come to the United States "for such a time as this." Everything you do and everywhere you go is according to God's divine plan. He's working behind the scenes to bring you exactly where He wants you to be and when He wants you to be there. So, if your destinations are God-planned, then your journey (those transition challenges) will be God-controlled, as well. As many of us are praying for you, know that your Heavenly Father is holding you as you take every next step. Love you and will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems weird sometimes when we feel we have to leave ministry for money. But I was thinking of how they say Jesus spoke more about money than He did about Heaven and Hell. It IS an important matter, and when you honour God with your money decisions, He honours you. We are going through a season of leaving our current for a job, and I've been thinking about some of these things, too. So good to know God can use us anywhere! And He will guide you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete