Thursday, May 24, 2012

Surrender

I'm not quite sure how many people, if any, know this about me, but I sincerely enjoy using song lyrics as prayers. Whether I'm in the car, in the shower, or doing homework, I love using the lyrics to songs to help me form prayers about my life and my future. 
Tonight is one of those nights.



"To the desperate eyes and reaching hands
To the suffering and the need 
To the ones the world has cast aside
Where you want me I will be

I will go, I will go
I will go, Lord send me
To the world, To the lost
To the poor and hungry
Take everything I am
I'm clay within your hands
I will go, I will go, send me


Let me not be blind with privilege
Give me eyes to see the pain
Let the blessing You've poured out on me
Not be spent on me in vain
Let this life be used for change
I wanna live for you
Go where you lead me
I wanna follow you
"


More than ever I'm trusting in the Lord to guide my life and lead me where he wants me to be. I want to be fully surrendered to His leading in every aspect of my life. Paty really challenged me this week and encouraged me to think about how much I'd be willing to give up to follow God's plans for my life. Would I give up my seemingly "perfect" upcoming senior year? That seemed like a really difficult question a week ago, but now it's not seeming quite as hard... Sure this year sounds really great: best friends for roommates, honors housing, fun jobs, student teaching in bilingual kindergarten, first person to graduate in my immediate family... but doesn't following God's every footstep sound even better?

Now family and friends who are having a heart attack while reading this, please don't. I'm not saying I'm leaving Olivet right now... not unless God clearly says to. I'm just learning what my priorities are and whose voice I'm going to listen to when it matters most. 

I think we could all use a reality check about who is really in charge of our lives. Have you stepped back lately and compared what you want with your life to what God wants for you?

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart 
and lean not on your own understanding;
In all ways acknowledge him, 
and he will make your path straight."
-Proverbs 3:5-6



Now I must sleep. I have a long trip ahead of me and we leave in 4 hours, eek!.... ZzZzZz

No comments:

Post a Comment