Thursday, June 28, 2012

Clean Plate Club

Eating Brazillian food in Paraguay
Loved it!
Over the years I have become an adventurous eater and it becomes even more apparent when I am around picky or cautious eaters. I understand that some people don't like certain foods, don't like trying new things, or are cautious because they have weak stomachs, but I on the other hand am not.

Almuerzo at Betty's in Honduras
Delicious!
I typically jump at the chance to try new things and I love fully embracing new cultures, food and all! I have been abroad a few times now and have never gotten sick once. I think this helps me to be more adventurous as I do not equate being abroad with memories of throwing up everything I ate.

Eating chicken hearts in Paraguay
They were surprisingly good!

I consider this gift to be a blessing. God has confirmed over and over again my calling to travel abroad to teach and do mission work, and how could I if I was scared of trying new things or getting sick? 
Baleada at Betty's in Honduras
Delicious, but HUGE so I could only eat half


Instead I have promised myself to try anything at least once which has allowed me to try some pretty interesting things and find out that I like some things I never thought I would. 

I tried two bites of intestines at a mall in Paraguay,
Not too bad actually...


I don't like wasting food, especially in other countries where feeding me could be a sacrifice for someone. So if I like the food, or if it's at least tolerable, I try to clear my whole plate. Besides, sometimes you don't know when or what you're gonna eat next...

Taco de pollo at Betty's in Honduras
Pretty good!


Here at the orphanage we all dislike soup days. It's already 95-100+ degrees outside every day so hot soup just isn't our favorite choice for lunch.

Soup day last week at the orphanage in Santa Barbara, Honduras
This soup was pretty good from what I remember



Today was a soup day. 

Today's soup included fish, rice, carrots, yuca, plantains, and peppers. And of course, in typical Honduran fashion, was served with a mini corn tortilla. We also got a slice of watermelon!

While eating the soup, I started observing those around me and it was one of those days that made me realize how NOT picky I am about my food. While others were trying to identify the make up of the soup and debating how many different things they were going to pick out, I cheerfully tried it all. I started reflecting on my eating habits and how different they were from everyone else. Again I was reminded how God has blessed me with this ability to eat anything in preparation for my life abroad. Needless to say, I ate my ENTIRE bowl of soup and my tortilla and watermelon.

Sopa Paraguaya, a traditional food in Paraguay
I liked it!


I'm looking forward to trying more new foods while I'm here in Honduras and around the world in the years ahead. I told God he could have all of me, and that includes my stomach as well. :)



Here's a look at more foods I've eaten this summer!
Pastelitos at the orphanage
Favorite!
Breakfast at the hotel in Paraguay
The bread was always so good!
Paraguayan passion fruit ice cream
Tart and delicious!
Burger with egg somewhere in Paraguay (we were lost)
Not too bad!
Grilled chicken, salad, and bread at a mall in Paraguay
Delicious! And the pineapple juice was AMAZING!

2 comments:

  1. Cassidy - you are truly blessed to be able to eat every meal with gratitude! I'm sure this post will be an encouragement to many. I have to tell you that as a child, my mother made soup year round and we often had chicken noodle soup on 95+ days. I loved her soup but didn't always enjoy eating it when it was so hot. But now that I'm a mom, I know that homemade broths are some of the most nourishing (and affordable) meals I can make for my family. And yes, sometimes (not often) it happens that I make soup on 95+ days! Thank you for sharing this. I feel that in our disposable society people just aren't grateful anymore. If it doesn't work for you, return it, send it back, Goodwill it, or throw it away (and then complain about it and post negative reviews). My grandma lived through The Great Depression. She knew how to make the best of anything-with a smile. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a beautiful woman- inside and out! I wish my younger two children would eat ANYTHING like you and Al!

    ReplyDelete